Environmental Scientist I (1204)
If you care about the environment and want to be part of an organization that improves our planet, consider joining our team as an Environmental Scientist I! If you enjoy having a large variety of work in a fast-paced environment, check us out. For over 46 years, Bay West LLC (Bay West) has been a recognized leader delivering Environmental Solutions nation-wide and we’re proud of our stellar safety programs and records. We’re a unique mix of expertise and strong tenured employees in the following services: Environmental Consulting, Engineering, Emergency Response and Waste Management for a mixed portfolio of Federal, State, Municipal and Industrial/Commercial clients.
As an Environmental Scientist I, you will provide general labor, technical and geological field support on various environmental investigation/remediation projects. Position will require an approximate 12 to 18-month field commitment at Umatilla Chemical Depot near Hermiston, Oregon. Limited overnight travel to satellite offices and client locations may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect and classify soil and groundwater samples during site investigation and remediation activities.
- Oversee the excavation of contaminated soil during remediation and construction projects.
- Manage assigned tasks on time, within budget and in accordance with project and contract documents.
- Understand and comply with Bay West's corporate and project specific health and safety plans and procedures.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers, both orally and in writing, in a courteous and professional manner.
- Communicate directly with Site Supervisors and Team Leader on ways to improve Bay West's techniques, operations and functions.
- Occasionally supervise the correct installation of soil borings, monitoring wells and treatment systems. Prepare soil boring logs, hydrographs, groundwater contour maps, field notes, sketches and other documentation of actions undertaken during site investigation and remediation project.
- Comply with HR policies, procedures and practices.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Convey an appropriate demeanor in both internal and external business settings.
- Practice open communication and cooperation to achieve common understanding with team members of similar and other disciplines.
Essential Education, Training, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in a technical discipline, (e.g., geology, engineering, or environmental sciences).
- 0-3 years of experience or equivalent combination of education.
- Ability to learn current groundwater and soil sampling regulations and methods.
- Possess proficient personal computer skills.
- Possess valid driver's license.
- Possess or have access to reliable means of transportation on a 24-hour basis.
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER certification, preferred.
Essential Physical and Intellectual Requirements:
- Ability to comprehend and apply advanced principles of sampling theory, factor analysis and statistical theory.
- Possess ability to define problems, collect data, draw valid conclusions and to comprehend abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to analyze and interpret specialized business and technical journals, financial reports and regulations.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks with deadlines of one week or more out.
- Frequent standing, walking, using hands, grasping and reaching.
- Ability to work for prolonged periods of time outdoors in inclement weather (extreme heat or cold).
- Ability to work up to 60 hours per week.
- Possess ability to reach, grasp and handle items and visually perceive attributes of objects and materials on a regular basis without restriction.
- Routinely communicates both orally and in writing, reads and interprets general documents, safety rules, and Standard Operating Procedures and to speak effectively before groups of customers or coworkers.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. for a period of 4 hours, and up to 50 lbs. for less than one hour.
- Ability to wear a respirator.
- Comply with operational security requirements, including annual training.
Bay West Offer a Robust Benefits Package Including
- Employer subsidized medical, health savings account and dental plan.
- Employer paid vacation time, sick time, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage.
- Additional benefit options including 401(k) plan, vision coverage, supplemental life insurance, critical illness and accident coverage, dependent care and healthcare flexible spending accounts.
- Support and encouragement to obtain additional credentials and certifications.
- Culture that empowers all employees to stop a job – we walk the safety talk!
- Competitive wages and individual consideration as your expertise and responsibilities expand.
- Business casual environment with great co-workers.
Bay West is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Bay West is an EEO/AA Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer.