Geologist I (1196)
Geologist I/Environmental Scientist 1
For over 46 years, Bay West LLC (Bay West) has been a recognized by our clients nationwide for delivering impactful environmental solutions with industry-leading safety. It starts with the high-quality talent of our people. Bay West strives to be a "Best Place to Work" and "Best Value Solution Provider" with our unique mix of expertise & strong tenured employees in the following services: Environmental Consulting, Engineering, Emergency Response, and Waste Management for a mixed client portfolio of Federal, State, Municipal, & Industrial/Commercial clients.
The primary purpose of a Geologist I/Environmental Scientist 1, is to safely and accurately collect field information that will help Bay West decide how to best protect the public and the environment from this contamination. Many of Bay West’s clients are responsible for soil and groundwater contamination.
Geologist I Responsibilities:
- Provide general labor, technical and geological field support on various environmental site assessments; onsite investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, and groundwater; construction observation; and preparation of drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections, and technical reports.
- Observe drilling and monitoring well installation and classifying soil and bedrock samples. Collect soil, groundwater, and soil vapor samples for field screening and laboratory analysis.
- Accurately prepare soil boring logs, hydrographs, groundwater contour maps, field notes, sketches and other documentation of actions undertaken during site investigation and remediation projects.
- Supervise the correct installation of soil borings, monitoring wells, recovery wells (vapor phase and water) and treatment systems.
- Oversee the proper excavation of contaminated soil during remediation and construction projects.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Provide open communication with Team Leader on ways to improve Bay West techniques, operations, and functions.
- Up to 60% out-of-town travel to support Federal and Commercial Clients for up to two to three weeks at a time.
- Bachelor's degree in Geology
- Must be eligible to obtain a Professional Geologist License in the future
- Thorough understanding of current groundwater and soil sampling methods
- Proficiency using Word and Excel applications
- Currently have or willing to obtain a 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification
- Reliable means of transportation on a 24-hour basis
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience supporting multiple projects on deadline while providing excellent customer service
- Superb problem-solving skills, time-management, and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to champion changes and improvements
- Minimum 1-3 years of related environmental consulting experience including environmental drilling oversight
- Experience with field equipment such as water quality monitoring instruments, photoionization detectors (PIDs), and global positioning systems (GPS) units
- Knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations and laws, including, but not limited to, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) cleanup guidance and United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
Bay West Offer a Robust Benefits Package Including
- Employer subsidized medical, health savings account and dental plan.
- Employer paid vacation time, sick time, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage.
- Additional benefit options including 401(k) plan, vision coverage, supplemental life insurance, critical illness and accident coverage, dependent care, and healthcare flexible spending accounts.
- Support and encouragement to obtain additional credentials and certifications.
- Culture that empowers all employees to stop a job – we walk the safety talk!
- Competitive wages and individual consideration as your expertise and responsibilities expand.
- Business casual environment with great co-workers.
In exchange for your high performance and team participation, Bay West offers long term growth potential, continued training, a competitive hourly rate to include overtime, a solid medical and dental plan, 401K, paid vacation, holiday and sick time, annual merit increases and a bonus potential.
Bay West is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Bay West is an EEO/AA Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer.