Industrial Hygienist (1192)
If you care about the environment and want to do work that improves our planet, consider joining our team! For over 46 years, Bay West LLC (Bay West) has been a recognized leader delivering Environmental Solutions nation-wide and we’re proud of our stellar safety programs and records. We’re a unique mix of expertise & strong tenured employees in the following services: Environmental Consulting, Engineering, Emergency Response, and Waste Management for a mixed portfolio of Federal, State, Municipal, & Industrial/Commercial clients.
As an Industrial Hygienist II, you will serve as a field team leader that supports and conducts industrial hygiene assessments/surveys at shops and other maintenance facilities at federal facilities around the country by detecting health hazards, including those caused by airborne contaminants, toxic substances, and harmful physical agents, by observing and analyzing work operations and processes, materials, equipment, work habits of facility occupants, and interviewing facility occupants. Additionally, you will be responsible for measuring the magnitude of exposure to workers of all environmental hazards by executing standard tests, such as collecting and analyzing chemical samples, taking noise measurements, and comparing findings to established occupational health and safety standards.
Critical success factors involve maintaining high utilization, a high regard to field safety and strong communication and include the following responsibilities:
- Audits programs and conditions at all facilities; provides written reports of findings with recommendations for improvement (where needed); and follows up on implementation.
- Reviews present and proposed standards and surveys new facilities.
- Assist with technical proposal writing, reporting writing, and data entry.
- This position requires the flexibility to serve as a cross-disciplinary
- Follow direction of site management while keeping safety in the forefront of all activities
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Utilize and maintain field equipment in accordance with Bay West SOPs
- Help resolve problems as they arise in the field
- Able to form trusted relationships with clients, subcontractors, consultants, and facility occupants
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in industrial hygiene assessments and surveys with a willingness to obtain further certification OR have American Board of Industrial Hygiene, CIH and 1 year experience in industrial hygiene assessments and surveys
- If former military, the above requirement may be satisfied if you are a qualified Industrial Hygienist by their service’s Surgeon General, with 3 years’ experience in industrial hygiene assessments and surveys.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Public Health, Engineering, Biology, Environmental Science, or a related technical field.
- Experience working with a wide range of exposure assessment sampling methods and relevant analytical methods including real-time instrumentation.
- Must be able to secure a company sponsored and government issued Common Access Card
- Must be willing to travel approximately 75% of the time to sites (shops and other maintenance facilities) around the country as required. Overnight travel routinely, weekend travel infrequently.
- 40-hour HAZWOPER with 8-hour Supervisor training completed; will offer refresh if needed for otherwise qualified candidate
- Able to perform in a highly dynamic work environment, prioritize appropriately, and be highly responsive
- Able to work productively with all levels of the organization including field technicians, engineers, scientists, senior managers and executives
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of Federal OSHA, NIOSH, USEPA, DOT, Radiation Safety, NFPA 70e, and other regulatory requirements
- Experience with an IH data management program
- Demonstrated commitment to following safety protocols including use of appropriate PPE
- Pass a pre-employment drug screen, criminal background check and physical exam.
- Physical Requirements – Light to Medium Work
- Frequently required to stand, sit and/or walk for extended periods of time
- Work environment can include high heat, high humidity, and extreme cold
- Frequently lifting, carrying or exerting force on objects up to 50 pounds
Bay West offers its valued employees:
- Employer subsidized medical, health savings account and dental plan
- Employer paid vacation time, sick time, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Additional benefit options including 401(k) plan, vision coverage, supplemental life insurance, critical illness and accident coverage, dependent care, and healthcare flexible spending accounts
- Support and encouragement to obtain additional credentials and certifications
- Culture that empowers all employees to stop a job – we walk the safety talk!
- Competitive wages and individual consideration as your expertise and responsibilities expand
- Business casual environment with great co-workers
Bay West is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. Bay West is an EEO/AA Employer Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer.